Wicker furniture was popular during Victorian times and it's just as popular today. Home catalogs are featuring wicker couches, lounges, tables, coffee tables, chairs, and plant stands. Most of the furniture is woven, but other furniture looks as if it has been knit with giant needles.
What does the word "wicker" mean? According to wicker refers to furniture that is made from vines, grasses and plants. The website divides wicker into four basic categories: rattan, reed, willow, and bamboo. Wicker furniture is popular because it's strong and relatively inexpensive.
Another plus is that wicker goes with almost everything. Ikea sells a modern wicker chaise with a metal frame, for example. You can also find reproductions of Victorian furniture. Most wicker is lightweight and easy to move. Unless you take care of your wicker, however, you won't have much to move.
As durable as it is, wicker is also fragile, and needs regular care. Natural wicker is not intended for outdoor use. If you want wicker furniture for your deck or patio you'll have to buy plastic wicker. Follow these tips to keep your wicker furniture looking as good as the day you bought it.
1. Keep wicker furniture away from direct sunlight, radiators, heating ducts, fireplaces, and wood burning stoves.
2. Vacuum wicker with a brush attachment. Go with the weave, not against it. While you are vacuuming check the piece for sharp ends, splits, and holes.
3. Wipe up spills immediately with a damp cloth and mild soap.
Work fast because unsealed wicker absorbs moisture like a sponge.
4. Dry wicker has a tendency to split, so wipe down your furniture regularly with a damp cloth.
5. Older wicker that has accumulated dust and dirt may be washed down with a garden hose, according to However, don't use too much pressure or a pressure washer. Let the water drain and dry the furniture with a soft cloth.
6. After you have wiped or washed wicker furniture let it dry completely before using it again.
7. Wicker furniture can be painted to go with your decorating scheme. Your local home store should be able to advise you on the best paint to use. If you use spray paint use short strokes to prevent drips.
8. Learn how to repair your wicker chairs. You'll find repair kits and tools on the Internet. Community Education may also offer a course on chair caning.
Wicker furniture has already stood the test of time and will probably be around a long time. Look for wicker the next time you're in a home store. A wicker piece may be just the piece you need to complete a room.