Thought jars were just for jam? Think again!
Across Australia, jars have become the staple of the rustic chic wedding, creating an effortless elegance with bags of whimsical charm.
So with the lowly jar now gracing wedding tables from Bega to Broome, how can you make the most of this versatile vessel, and what size of jar will best meet your needs?...
Jars make perfect receptacles for informal floral arrangements on wedding reception tables. For a farmhouse chic look, wind rustic jute twine around the neck of each jar and arrange mixed sizes of jars in clusters of three.
On a budget? Instead of relying on a florist, why not check out the flower markets in your local area, and do your own arrangements...The beauty of flowers in jars is that they needn't be arranged in a formal way, so it's easy to DIY!
Jars are a great option for rustic table numbers - Get creative with chalkboard paint, first masking around the area you wish to paint using tape. Once the paint is dry, just grab some chalk and number your tables, for a gorgeous shabby chic look.
Are you dreaming of twinkly lights and a relaxed, sparkly atmosphere at your venue? Jars make fabulous candle holders, and you can add a little flair with some sand or pebbles in the bottom of the jar to stabilise your tealights or pillar candles.
If you're feeling crafty, you can even use dress up your candle jars by using spray adhesive to stick doilies or vintage book pages to the outside...They look just gorgeous with the candlelight shining through.
Jars needn't be just displayed on your tables...With a little creativity and some twine or wire, you can suspend your jars and hang them from trees, posts or hooks.
Drinking glasses are so last year!
You only need check out a few wedding blogs to see that increasingly, brides are using glass jars to serve cocktails, home-made lemonade and other beverages.
Paired with some retro striped paper straws, this is a charming way to carry the rustic chic theme through to cocktail hour.
Share the jar love, and give away jars to your wedding guests! Pop a lid or a pretty vintage fabric covering on your jars, and they make beautiful bonbonniere when filled with lollies or sugared almonds.
You could even arrange a lolly buffet table, and let your guests fill a little jar with their choice of sweets to take home. Alternatively for extra special handmade favours, how about gifts of home-made jam or chutney?
Need some help with sizes?
When considering purchasing jars for your event, it can be overwhelming and confusing deciding what shapes and sizes you need. Below are a few of my favourite sizes from our traditional-shape range here at Just Jars Australia, and a few suggested ways in which they could be used...
- 1-litre+ jars - 1-litre and even 2-litre jars are huge, and make great luminarias to line paths or aisles, with a large candle stabilised by sand.
- 750ml jars make a great vase for larger arrangements or bigger blooms such as peonies or hydrangeas, and also tend to accommodate large pillar candles.
- 500ml jars are great for medium to large flower arrangements, and make great table numbers with the addition of some chalkboard paint.
- 375ml jars are very versatile, working well for medium sized floral displays and also making great drinking glasses (being just slightly larger than a highball glass). This jar is also perfect for full-size jam/chutney favours.
- 250ml jars look lovely containing smaller blooms such as freesias, but also make great little drinking glasses for smaller drinks, or tend to be a good size for a short pillar candle. Additionally they work well for smaller jam/chutney favours, or larger lollies such as sugared almonds.
- 150ml jars are wonderful for cute little bonbonniere gifts, containing small lollies, or even as a mini jar for home-made jams. They also hold a standard tealight just beautifully, with room for some sand or coloured gravel if needed.
- 100ml jars are an adorable teeny tiny jar for miniature favours, or work perfectly dotted all around your venue holding tealights.
Whatever jars you choose, they're sure to add a relaxed, rustic vibe to any event.