In most casesthe medical practitioner chooses between the two options keeping in mind thebest interests of the mother and the baby. Today more than 30% of child birthsare through C section and many mothers opt for it willingly. Before concludingon the choice of delivery, here are some advantages and disadvantages of bothnormal and caesarean delivery.
· Normaldelivery is perceived as a very natural birthing format. It involves noincision and is a very favourable birthing process for the physiology of themother.
· Since,there is no surgery involved, it is easier for the post-partum health of themother. She can spring back to normalcy quickly as the recovery time is veryshort.
· Establishmentof lactation is easy with a normal delivery as the hormones released by thebody after child birth takes care of the natural process of milk production.
· Babiesborn by normal delivery end up having fewer complications, according to provenscientific studies.
Many womenfear having a normal delivery because of the sheer pain they have to go throughwhen in labour. The natural child birth process involves a series ofcontractions that increase in frequency with time. These contractions thatcauses the labour pain, brings about the necessary changes the pelvic musclesto enable childbirth. The pain endurance threshold may be lower for few womenand in those cases they opt for Caesarean. Urinary incontinence is also acommon after effect of normal delivery.
· C-sectionis chosen by women to circumvent long hours of labour pain.
· However,generally the doctor decides to have C-section if normal delivery turns out tobe risky option for the mother and the baby. A breech baby or a baby with cordaround the neck, low amniotic fluid levels or a tired mother can be somesituations in which a Caesarean is done.
· Itis even opted by many, for the predictability it offers. A convenient time anddate is chosen and the operation is performed to avoid having any last minuteemergencies.
· Couples,who undergo treatment in the best IVF centre in India or any other kind of treatment in a fertility centre, choose to deliver by C-section inorder to avoid any complications for their precious baby.
Beinga surgical procedure, a caesarean operation can result in longer recovery timefor the mother. Proper and extensive post-partum care is necessary for the newmother. Establishment of lactation can be difficult in some cases and the helpof a lactation consultant may be required. Foetal distress and respiratoryissues can also arise during the caesarean operation, in some cases.